[m-dev.] Diff: Fix missing dependency in generated .dep files

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 10:15:51 AEDT 1999

Fergus wrote:
> Yes, but that's because the `_init.c' file normally does *not* depend
> on the other `.c' files which comprise the program.
> Your proposed change would force `_init.c' to be rebuilt every time
> anything at all has changed, for every program.  For most programs,
> that's not necessary, and it slows down mmakes, so it's undesirable.
>
> The exception comes only if you use the `--extra-inits' option to c2init.

I could have sworn I'd also seen this behaviour in the past, before I'd ever
heard of the `--extra-inits' option.

But then again, maybe it was sufficiently long ago it was before the
`--extra-inits' flag existed, because all `.c' files were scanned by default
(or am I dreaming again, and this was never the case?  ;-).

Anyway, I will not commit this change, but will look at the alternatives you
suggest.

Warwick