[m-dev.] for review: rename base_type_* to type_ctor_* (part 1/2)

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Mar 18 09:58:42 AEDT 1999

On 18-Mar-1999, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 17-Mar-1999, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > During the writing of the RTTI paper, we decided that type_ctor_info
> > was a much better name than base_type_info.
> >
> > Rename base_type* as type_ctor*, except we don't rename the modules
> > base_type_info and base_type_layout just yet.
>
> The sed script you posted has
>
> 	s/type_ctor_info__/base_type_info__/g
> 	s/type_ctor_layout__/base_type_layout__/g
>
> so it looks there are some additional exceptions.
> Could you explain why?

These aren't extra, that's just to turn the module qualifier
`type_ctor_info__' back into `base_type_info__' (similarly for
`type_ctor_layout__'.

> The log message should include names of the files changed,
> or at least wildcard patterns such as `compiler/*.m' that
> match all the modified files.

Oops.  Ok, good point.

> Did you modify util/mdemangle.c and profiler/demangle.m?

No, not yet.  I will do as a separate change if that's OK.

> I didn't look at most of the changes in any detail, but if they were
> applied by automatic application of the above sed script, and it
> bootstraps, then I'm happy.  If there were changes other than
> ones resulting from the sed script, it would be nice if we could
> see a separate diff for those.

The only hand-written changes were:
	- changes to mercury_bootstrap.h
	- change type_ctor_info in :- import_module back to
	  base_type_info.

> > Also base_typeclass_info
> > remains the same because nobody has suggested a better name for it.
>
> How about `instance_defn_info'?

Sounds ok-ish.  Would be nice to include the word typeclass in there
somewhere.

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }