[m-dev.] For review: Split auto-generated dependencies

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 30 10:07:49 AEST 1999

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 02:56:20PM EST, Peter Schachte wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 12:04:29PM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> > > Do you have a convention regarding commas in lists?  I believe "proper"
> > > English is "A, B and C" but I've seen a couple of instances of "A, B, and C"
> > > lately.
> >
> > I generally use "A, B, and C".
>
> As I recall, I learned that either was acceptable.  'Course, that
> would be American English; dunno if British English is fussier.  I
> generally prefer "A, B, and C" too.

We've had this discussion before. I went and checked several syle manuals
belonging to Tim Bell. Both are correct. The form without the extra comma
is more literary, but can create ambiguity in some circumstances.  IIRC,
last time we settled on the form with the extra comma for this reason.

--
 Thomas Conway )O+     Every sword has two edges.
     Mercurian            <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>