[m-dev.] For review: Split auto-generated dependencies

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 29 12:04:29 AEST 1999

Warwick Harvey wrote:
> [Fergus wrote:]
> > Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> > > +	% Note we have to do some ``interesting'' hacks to get
> > > +	% `$(ALL_C2INITARGS)' to work in the dependency list (and not
> > > +	% complain about undefined variables).
> > > +	io__write_strings(DepStream, [
> > > +		InitCFileName, " : ", DepFileName, " ", DvFileName,
> > > +			" $(foreach @,undefined,$(foreach *,", MakeVarName,
> > > +			",$(ALL_C2INITARGS)))\n",
> >
> > The hacks that rely on features specific to GNU Make
> > should be disabled if --no-assume-gmake was set.
>
> OK.  (Does anybody use this option, or is it kept in the hope that one day
> the Mmake.rules and Mmake.vars files will be available in standard Make
> compatibility versions?

The latter.

> > Presuming you make the change suggested above, that should be
> > "When generating @file{.d}, @file{.dv}, and @file{.dep} files, ...".
>
> Do you have a convention regarding commas in lists?  I believe "proper"
> English is "A, B and C" but I've seen a couple of instances of "A, B, and C"
> lately.

I generally use "A, B, and C".

--
Fergus Henderson              | Designing grand concepts is fun;
fjh at cs.mu.oz.au               | finding nitty little bugs is just work.