[m-dev.] compiler generated events

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Feb 21 04:11:46 AEDT 1999

On 20-Feb-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
> That makes me think about a question I want to ask for a long time.
> Currently, if you compile program in a debug grade, you can use the internal
> debugger. What should I need to do to compile in a grade such that we
> can use the external debugger too. Do I need to implement a special grade
> (debug.external) ? how ?

You should be able to use the same grade for both the internal
and external debuggers.  They both need the same changes to
the generated C code: the compiler must generate calls to
MR_trace(), and it must keep the appropriate information
around so that the debugger can fetch the values of variables,
etc.

> ps: In that grade, I'd want the library shallowly traced.

I think the same considerations about this would apply for
both the internal and external debuggers.  If we do want
only shallow tracing for the library in the usual debug
grade, then this can be easily implemented by simply
adding the appropriate compilation options to library/Mmakefile.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"