[m-dev.] Help: Changes to memory zone allocation affecting my changes

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jun 12 08:52:52 AEST 1998

On 11-Jun-1998, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Firstly, in the original version, the heap pointer for the global heap was
> just another global variable, like the pointers to the various heap zones.
> I'm now wondering whether it would be more appropriate to have it as a
> virtual register (or whatever you call them), like the other heap pointers.

Well, it depends.  Is the global heap going to be
	(a) really global
	(b) per thread (i.e. one for each _Posix_ thread)
	(c) per Mercury engine
	(d) per Context (i.e. one for each Mercury thread)
?

I think it is unlikely to ever be worth putting the heap pointer for
the global heap in a real machine register.  But if the answer is
(b), (c), or (d) then just using a global variable isn't the right answer.

Regarding your other questions hopefully Tom will have something to say ;-)