[m-dev.] Changes to runtime.

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Sep 15 16:10:39 AEST 1997

Tyson Richard DOWD, you wrote:

> In order to add layout information about stack frames, every entry label
> needs to have a stack_layout structure defined for it, and every
> internal label needs a similar structure which refers to the entry
> label.
>
> To do this in the .mod files in the runtime, it is simplest to just
> stop using .mod files altogether, and instead use .c files.

That's fine with me.

> At the same time, I could pretty easily rename those .c files
> to mercury_whatever.c.

Let me take a second to explain the naming policy and its rationale.

	- header file names should contain a unique prefix such as
	  `mercury_' (or perhaps `mercury/' -- but that has other
	  difficulties).  The reason for this is to avoid name clashes
	  with header files defined in other packages.

	- If the header file for a module is named `foo.h', then
	  then C file should be named `foo.c'.  The reason for this
	  is to make it clear that they belong together.

So, renaming the whatever.c files to mercury_whatever.c is desirable
if and only if you also rename the whatever.h files to mercury_whatever.h.