[m-users.] What language and source file should the Windows version compile to?

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Oct 15 14:20:34 AEDT 2019

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, galois at nycap.rr.com wrote:

> I'm working through the tutorial guide, and compiled the first
> module.  Mercury seemed to have created the intermediate files and
> folders, including an empty .err file.
>
> But I cannot find a generated source file that can be compiled with
> anything.

You shouldn't need to compile the generated source files, the Mercury
compiler should invoke the target language compiler for you.  (You can
see what it's doing by using the --verbose-commands option.)  If it's
not producing an .exe file (assuming your target language is C), then
something is going wrong somewhere.

> I'm using the Windows/Visual Studio 2013 version of Mercury.

What version of Windows and Visual Studio are you using? If it isn't
Visual Studio 2013 and whatever version of Windows was used to build
that package then you are probably going to encounter problems.

> What language is it supposed to compile to, from the Windows version?

By default C, unless you've explicitly told it to compile to Java or C#.

> Should I point it to a C Compiler?

It should already be pointed at one; do mmc --output-cc to see which.

Julien.