[m-users.] 'help' in debugger shows nothing

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Mon May 20 06:46:52 AEST 2019

On Sun, 19 May 2019 13:18:26 -0400, Harrison Pincket <harrisonpincket at gmail.com> wrote:
> But when I run the following:
> ```
> $ mmc -s asm_fast.gc.debug.stseg fib
> $ mdb ./fib
> mdb> help
> ```
>
> The `help` command generates no output. This is either a bug or I am
> invoking it incorrectly

It seems your installation was not complete.

mdb should get the documentation it shows to users from the file sourced
by the mdbrc script  in the directory $install_dir/lib/mercury/mdb. That file
should be the file mdb_doc in that same directory. Both files should be
installed regardless of the set of grades being installed. However, in your
case, it seems that either (a) one or both of those files are missing or
damaged, or (b) the mdb script you are executing does not set the
MERCURY_DEBUGGER_INIT environment variable to point to the mdbrc
script.

I hope this is enough for you to find the problem. If not, please send me
(a) the mdb script you are executing, and (b) the mdbrc and mdb_doc files
in the lib/mercury/mdb directory in your installation.

Zoltan.