[m-users.] Checking io.error programmatically

Charles Shuller charles.shuller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 01:26:59 AEDT 2019

Hello,

Is there a way to check io.error programmatically?

I see a number of functions which return it, but it's type definition isn't
published and the docs just say:  Use io.error_message to decode it.

This returns a, presumably localized, string for an end user.

My specific use case is to test if a file exists at all, and take different
action based on it's existence.   I can manage that with io.call_system,
but this isn't exactly portable, and seems a bit messy.

Thanks!

Charles