[m-users.] Mercury Crash Course

emacstheviking objitsu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 17:24:02 AEST 2019

Yes, thanks for writing it. I learned a lot from that single piece of work,
particularyl regarding functions which I have not really used much yet
apart from sin some FFI code.

Mercury *is* a challenge but I am determined to create a game with it for
many reason:
(a) I've always wanted to work for Atari as a kid!
(b) It's more fun that writing code you get paid to write
(c) Less risky than C/C++

It's that last point that supplies the ice picks to get me up the almost
impassable north-face of the learning curve!
I've used C and C++ for many many years and although C++ has the RAII
pattern I dread creating some kind of horrid bug related to memory or
dangly pointers.
Hence attempting to use Mercury. I tried Haskell but after a decade of
abuse at its ahnds I have decided that its not the one for me.

Further.....