[m-users.] Mercury Crash Course

Julian Fondren jfondren at minimaltype.com
Sat Aug 3 11:14:49 AEST 2019

Hello list,

I've posted a Mercury tutorial here:

https://mercury-in.space/crash.html

If a good Mercury reference manual teaches you everything you need
to know about a narrow slice of the language when you open that
slice's chapter, and if a good Mercury tutorial teaches you
everything you need to know about a tiny subset of the language in
chapter N, and then a slightly larger subset in chapter N+1, and so
on, then I hope a good Mercury crash course is one that takes the
whole language and throws it in the reader's face.

My thought was that tutorial subsets of Mercury don't show off
the language very well, and more importantly that you need to have
at least a working understanding of most of the language to write
anything with it without running into really confusing error
messages.

Maybe I've only written a bad tutorial :/

There are some coverage gaps that I may eventually close:

- parallel goals (and concurrency)
- exception handling
- DCG syntax
- !X ^ field := Value