[m-users.] ODASE and Mercury > Java backend

Michel Vanden Bossche mvandenbossche at odaseontologies.com
Fri Jun 22 22:20:58 AEST 2018

Dear Zoltan,

It has been a while… We have rebranded Mission Critical IT into ODASE Ontologies. ODASE is under development since 2007 and, as you know, the core platform is built in Mercury. We (in fact Peter Ross, Ian MacLarty and Peter Wang) built a Java backend and a Dot Net backend. We use the Java backend in production. To have an idea of what ODASE is, get a look on the attached paper and have a look on the video (footnote 5). We have several critical systems in production and have customers as Aviva (Insurance), French Army (Command and Control), Siemens (alarm correlation), Belgian Railways (semantic integration between SAP and a new planning system), Infrabel (ontology centric complex project management).

While we have a continuous improvement process for ODASE (e.g., the reasoner has been redesigned and re-implemented several times), we have never touched the Mercury to Java compiler. AAMOF, the new Graal JVM gave us, out of the box, a performance improvement of 20% (see hereunder).

We are about sure that the Mercury - Java compiler could be improved and give us a significant performance increase.

With Maxime (CTO) and Carlos (Chief Ontologist), I think that it could be worthwhile to invest some effort in doing that. Unfortunately, our resources are spreaded thin. I immediately suggest that you could have a look at it and maybe identify quick wins and implement them. Just an example is the way we translate list from Mercury to Java (but maybe, the JIT would already identify these wins).

Could you:

- spend some time on this
- tell us how many days you would need for a first round of improvements with tangible results
- quote us a price for that

We have some budget, but we have to be cautious as we are not yet Google ;-)

Let us know,

Many thanks,
Michel

carlos at leonard odase-platform]$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_161"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b14)
performance:
     [java] 2018-05-15 16:05:13,901 main WARN No Root logger was configured, creating default ERROR-level Root logger with Console appender
     [java] average time: 1060.575
     [java] median time: 965
     [java] min time: 924

[carlos at leonard odase-platform]$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_161"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-12)
GraalVM 1.0.0-rc1 (build 25.71-b01-internal-jvmci-0.42, mixed mode)

performance:
     [java] 2018-05-15 16:24:10,050 main WARN No Root logger was configured, creating default ERROR-level Root logger with Console appender
     [java] average time: 835.825
     [java] median time: 771
     [java] min time: 723