[m-users.] Fwd: Beginner question: How to use an installed library

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Mon Sep 7 19:32:26 AEST 2015

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 18:53:24 +1000 (AEST), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> The problem that Dirk encountered is actually a general "gotcha" with
> Mercury shared libraries on OS X: altering the value of
> --install-prefix after the .dylib files have been generated may result
> in a broken library installation -- the install prefix has to be set
> consistently across the entire build.
>
> I'll add a paragraph to the user's guide describing the problem and
> the possible resolutions.

Couldn't we rebuild the .dylib files during the install process if needed?

I think it is always better to design out possible problems than to
just advise people how to avoid them. This is why I had this quote
in my lectures on software engineering:

You cannot make a pussycat out of a lion
by describing its claws in a reference manual.

Zoltan.