[m-users.] Idiomatic Mercury - if-then-else or (C->I;E)

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Wed Nov 25 02:51:59 AEDT 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> I expect said competent programmer to be writing such a language
> within a week after meeting it.  And I don't expect said
> competent programmer to be whining that it doesn't look like C.

Nobody is whining that things don't look like C, or anything else.

> I am *SICK* of the way we teach programming,
> abandoning the hard won lessons of the past.

Programming? I was taught engineering.

One reason people use coding standards is because if they don't make
the arbitrary decisions for programmers, based on whatever vaguely
objective measures they are able to come up with, the programmers will
argue endlessly. So, yes, my measure is vague, but it is objective,
and I don't think my point needed anything more refined.

I didn't see any examples where "if" did not refer to some analogue of
the conditional construct.

Mark