[m-users.] installing Mercury on Ubuntu

nll at dent.vctlabs.com nll at dent.vctlabs.com
Tue Jun 23 06:36:13 AEST 2015

Hello,

I trust this is the right list for this question and I hope someone can
give me guidance.

I have installed Mercury on a computer running  Gentoo Linux.  This was
not hard because Gentoo has prepared an install.  I also have an Ubuntu
computer supplied by my company, and wish to install Mercury there also. I
have not found a place to acquire a standard Ubuntu install (really a
Debian, I guess) for Mercury.  I have acquired a source package, but in
reading about installation bootstrapping was mentioned, and it appears
that an existing Mercury installation is required in order to compile
Mercury.  I see that the Mercury compiler has much Mercury code, so I
suppose that is why an existing installation is required.

I looked on the net, but have not found information on how to proceed with
installation on Ubuntu.  There may be a repository which has an install
for Ubuntu, but I have not found it.  I would appreciate some help with
this, if anyone can give me a clue.

I am running Ubuntu version Ubuntu 14.04.02 LTS

Noel (Nick) Lockwood