[m-users.] Signal 253 error on MinGW32 during compilation of module with a large table

Dirk Ziegemeyer dirk at ziegemeyer.de
Wed Feb 18 08:03:22 AEDT 2015

Dear all,

I developed an app with Mercury 14.01.1 on Mac OS X where it compiles
fine and I'm struggling now to compile it on Windows/MinGW32.

First issue - concerning pragma fact_table:
The app contains two very large fact tables (40,000 and 400,000 rows)
and therefore I make use of pragma fact_table. I ran into the following error message:
"Making Mercury\none.gc\i686-pc-mingw32\Mercury\cs\moduleOne.c
sort: open failed: C:/Users/dirk/AppData/Local/Tempmtmpml1ugf: No such
file or directory
..."

As a workaround I adjusted MSYS variable $TMP from "/tmp" to "/tmp/"
and mercury compiled this module.

Is it a good solution to adjust $TMP or may there be side effects
during further compilation?

Second Issue - concerning a large table without pragma fact_table:
The compilation stops with an error message for a module which
contains a large table (2,400 facts). One column of the table is a discriminated union type and therefore I can't use pragma fact_table.

The app compiled well on Mac OS X 10.10 with grade none.gc but under MinGW I receive this error message:
"$ mmc --make --grade none.gc appName
Making Mercury\none.gc\i686-pc-mingw32\Mercury\cs\moduleTwo.c
Error: system command received signal 253.
** Error making 'Mercury\none.gc\i686-pc-mingw32\Mercury\cs\moduleTwo.c'."

The same error occurs with grade asm_fast.gc.
The module contains strings with non-latin-characters and hence is encoded with utf-8-unix.

I have not found any solution for this issue yet and would appreciate any
advise.

My development environment is:
- Windows 7 64 bit freshly installed within a VirtualBox guest machine
with 8 GB RAM
- Freshly installed MinGW32
- Freshly installed Mercury 14.01.1 with option --enable-libgrades=none.gc

Best regards,

--
Dirk Ziegemeyer