[m-users.] Solvers in Mercury

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Oct 28 08:35:48 AEDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Celelibi wrote:

>>> Are they available somewhere?
>>
>> Short answer: they have never been publicly released.
>
> Ok, so, if I want to use a CLP(FD) solver I'll have to write it on my own.
>
>> In their new form, yes.  In the form described in the paper above, no.
>> Some
>> of the details of the solver type implementation in Mercury have changed
>> since
>> that paper was written.  In particular:
>>
>>    - auto initialisation of solver type values is no longer supported
>>    - as a consequence of the above, solver types can now be nested
>>    - there is now support for dynamically moded higher-order values
>
> Thanks for the informations.
> What does dynamically moded means?

Variables whose inst is "any", or contains "any" are said to be
dynamically moded: they are known to be constrained in some way but
their exact instantiation state is unknown.

See
<http://www.mercurylang.org/information/doc-latest/mercury_ref/The-any-inst.html#The-any-inst>

and section 3.2.2 of

    Precise and expressive mode systems for typed logic programming languages
    David Overton.
    Ph.D. thesis, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering,
    The University of Melbourne, December 2003.

for further details.  (The latter is available via our papers page.)

Cheers,
Julien.