[m-users.] on-the-fly syntax checker for Emacs 24

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Fri Jan 10 09:11:40 AEDT 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 09:27:36PM +0100, Matthias Guedemann wrote:
> Dear mercury users,
>
> if you are using Emacs 24, you can add on-the-fly syntax checking for
> Mercury via flycheck-mercury[1], an extension of the flycheck
> library. Flycheck is a sensible alternative to flymake, available as
> MELPA package.
>
> The checker is based on parsing the output of "mmc --errorcheck-only",
> highlights both warnings and errors in the filebuffer, and displays each
> error message both as tooltip and in the minibuffer.
>
> I hope this is useful for you, if you have any comments, suggestions or
> bug reports, do not hesistate to contact me or file issues on the
> project page on github.

Hi Matthias,

This is an awesome contribution, thank you.  I read the pull request where
you tried to add this support into flycheck
(https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/pull/295) and noticed that you're
having a problem with the way error messages are formatted.  Mostly they're
formatted this way to make it easier for human programmers to read, not for
other programs to parse.  I'd be happy to propose a change to the Mercury
compiler that provides messages that are easier for flycheck and other
programs to parse.

Thanks.

--
Paul Bone