[mercury-users] Installation of the csharp grade

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 9 15:12:53 AEDT 2012

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Peter Ross wrote:

> On 9 January 2012 13:38, Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Peter Ross wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've tried installing the C# grade under windows for both 11.01 and
>>> 11.07, and the both fail.
>>>
>>> I have installed cygwin and MS Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET 4.0.
>>>
>>> The problem is that a command line in the format
>>>
>>>  csc Mercury/css/array.cs ...
>>>
>>> is generated when building the standard library, and the version of
>>> csc from that windows SDK doesn't like the forward slash path
>>> separator.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else managed to build using the MS tools?
>>

>> Yes, both 11.01 and 11.07 build for me on Windows under MinGW/MSYS.
>> It's possible that Cygwin's path tranlsation is messing things up.
>>
> I think it's the opposite, cygwin does no path translation but MSYS
> does and that is why it works under MSYS.

That seems likely.  With mmake under Cygwin we run that paths through
cypath -m; we probably don't do that for mmc --make (which is what the
csharp grade requires).

The intention here was that setting --host-env-type=cygwin should cause
it to do the Mercury compiler to do the correct path translation, but
I don't think that is implemented.

I think we also require a --csharp-compiler-type option similar
to the --c-compiler-type option, because mono and csc differ in the
their treatment of paths depending on whether you are under Cygwin
or MSYS or the native command prompt on Windows.  (See bug #222).

Julien.