[mercury-users] Constructor question.

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 19:08:03 AEST 2012

Given a data type like this:

:- type foo --->  foo(bar :: int, baz :: string).

Is there any way to construct a new instance of foo other than this?:

Foo = foo(10, "eleven").

Specifically is there a way to use record syntax so that I can name the
fields being given their initial value?  I've tried a variety of ways but
just can't see any way to do this that the compiler will accept and, while
not a problem for a simple record like the above type, it's a bit of a
nightmare if you're dealing with a type that has, say, a dozen members.
 I've had to do stuff that looks like this, only with a lot more lines of
code:

Foo = foo(  10       % bar
>             "eleven" % baz
>          ).

I find this both very ugly and very error-prone.