[mercury-users] Trouble debugging in 11.01 beta on mac

David Parks david at deepdownstudios.com
Sun Mar 13 21:50:52 AEDT 2011

> That type of error from the linker is generally an indication that some
> of the object files generated by the compiler have been generated in a
> different grade from the one you are attempting to use.

> I would first of all clean up any generated files that may be lying
> about and then try again.
> If that doesn't work, then you should check that the libraries are
> installed in the grades you are attempting to use, e.g. do
>
>    mmc --output-libgrades
>
> and check that none.gc or none.gc.debug are listed amonst the output.

That helped me to track down what had happened (the only grade listed
was 'java') and, indeed, I had gotten confused during the install.
What I needed to do was run configure with --enable-java-grade to
install java but I ran it with no parameters and, after completely
installing mercury, I noticed that the java grade wasn't there.  So I
re-ran the install with --enable-libgrades=java... which apparently
should have been --enable-java-grade.  Everything is working fine now
and I get the 'complete' set of grades:

hlc.gc
hlc.gc.memprof
hlc.gc.prof