[mercury-users] GC / Guile

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jun 12 15:43:11 AEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 07:32:44PM +0200, Tomas By wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After various upgrades, including to Guile 2.0.1, I am having new
> problems with the Mercury - Guile combination.
>
> | $ ./test
> | 0xac44040 is not a GC visible pointer location
> | GC_is_visible test failed
> | Aborted
> | $
>
> As far as I can tell, the `test' binary uses the Mercury version of the
> Boehm GC. All source files shown below.
>
> Any help appreciated.

It looks like Guile also uses the BoehmGC (although I don't know).  We haven't
tried combining different versions of BoehmGC in the same process like this.
I expect that this is the cause of your problems.

I'm sorry to say that you're pretty much on your own here, we haven't faced
these problems before and can't really help.  However, the following
information might be useful:

   + Mercury's version of BoehmGC is slightly modified, so replacing it with
     guile's version of BoehmGC may not be easy.
   + Mercury and Guile may also use different compilation options for BoehmGC.
     However this is just my speculation.

All the best.