[mercury-users] more Mercury homework: "Mercuryfy" some simple Prolog

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 02:23:25 AEST 2010

2010/9/26 Tomas By <tomas at basun.net>:

> The Prolog code represents people using atoms, and you can do that
> in Mercury also.

Many thanks for this Rosetta stone, this is what I needed.
It's especially this line that I couldn't figure out :

:- type person ---> jacques ; simone ; jean_marc.

> Somebody who knows Prolog does not really need to learn Mercury.

Alas it's not true. Maybe if there was the sufficient quantity of examples.
I hope that this one will its way to the tutorial or elsewhere, maybe in :

Prolog to Mercury Transition Guide
http://www.mercury.csse.unimelb.edu.au/information/doc-release/mercury_trans_guide/index.html

> You can
> basically just add declarations and a main procedure and have something
> that compiles.

One cannot believe that until he sees examples.

> Having said that, and having had a quick look at you CV on your website,
> I think you may be better off staying with Prolog. There are books you
> can read, there are much more mature tools, there are plenty of libraries.
> The lack of Unicode support in Mercury, in particular, may be an issue.

Well, this does not discourage me , although the Unicode stuff is a bad smell.

I dislike too much the hacks in Prolog.
And the possible integration with Java has value , even if it's not as
smooth as Scala.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,