[mercury-users] mercury-10.04.1 bootstrap failing (under parallel make)

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Sep 14 23:08:38 AEST 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Julien Fischer wrote:

> > ../scripts/mgnuc --grade hlc.gc        --      -c analysis.c -o analysis.o
> > analysis.c:116:47: error: transform_hlds.term_constr_data.mih: No such file or
> > directory
> > analysis.c:118:47: error: transform_hlds.term_constr_main.mih: No such file or
> > directory
> > analysis.c:119:42: error: transform_hlds.term_errors.mih: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > Without dialing things down to -j1, is there much I can do to workaround this
> > problem?
>
> You could try -j8; I regularly build the compiler with that and have
> never encountered the above problem.
>
> Another possibility would be to use mmc --make to build the parts of the
> compiler written in Mercury, (You can do this by invoking mmake with
> the --use-mmc-make option), although I'm not sure whether mmc --make
> inherits the -j option from mmake.

Peter Wang says it doesn't inherit the -j option.  An alternative would
to tell just mmc --make (which would be used to compile the majority
of the system anyway) to use 32 jobs, e.g. by setting

    MCFLAGS=--jobs 32

and use invoking mmake with --use-mmc-make.  That way 32 jobs would be
used to build the Mercury parts.  (You could also try invoking mmake
with -jN for N > 1 there too, although that's heading into uncharted
waters.)

Julien.