[mercury-users] mea-culpa

Robert Shiplett grshiplett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:22:06 AEDT 2010

I am wrong.

A refresh of Win Explore on XP shows that non-prof grades did install first

So the INSTALL file destined for a first-time user with no access to
binaries might better say

First run

  ./configure -h
or
  ./configure --help

Consider a first install with
 ./configure --disable-most-grades
[ follow by other practical suggestions if have less than 2Gb free or
slow drive or remote drive or need for use of single core during build

Or some such.

An alternative is to have a
  README-first-time-user.txt

A language which few use is likely to be a language which few
appreciate or acknowledge - but I grant that both Prologia (and for a
time, also PDC.dk ) ceased to even mention Prolog on their home pages;
 when I last looked, the new masters of Prologia had no mention of CLP
or Prolog IV.  Then came the Prolog to any XML document. Oh vey.  A
Chaucerian prologue, anyone?

Said as one who works in the Curl lang (www.curl.com) in the world of
cURL (the boys from MIT failed to defend their own spin-off trademark
- go figger.)