[mercury-users] issue with the tutorial book.pdf

Ian MacLarty maclarty at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 17:09:38 AEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Paul Bone <pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 06:21:14PM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:
>>
>>> I installed release of the day 2010-06-23, on Ubuntu 10.4, and it does work.
>>>
>>> I have an issue with the tutorial book.pdf downloaded from the site.
>>> Every - (minus) character in the PDF is not a true minus ASCII
>>> character, as this shell command shows :
>>>
>>> echo  mercury-users-request | od -c
>>> 0000000   m   e   r   c   u   r   y 342 210 222   u   s   e   r   s 342
>>> 0000020 210 222   r   e   q   u   e   s   t  \n
>>> 0000032
>>>
>>> This is annoying when one wants to paste code from the PDF. Also the "
>>> (double quote) , and the _ (underline) are not correct.
>>
>> Yes, we are aware of this.  (If I can find time, I will add the tutorial
>> examples to the samples directory.)
>>

> I intend to check to see if we can generate a HTML version of the tutorial via
> latex2html.  This may be more suitable as an online reference and allow people
> to copy-and-paste code examples from it.

I propose using the verbatim environment for program listings.  This
will make it much clearer what needs to be typed in to get the program
to work and should enable copy and pasting directly from the pdf.
Would there be any objections to me making that change?

Ian.