[mercury-users] Memory profiling

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Sun Dec 26 13:46:59 AEDT 2010

Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that the memprof grade shows me where all the
allocation is taking place, but can't tell me anything about when the
memory is freed?

As a result, it's impossible to tell from the profile which allocated
memory is persisting for the life of the program, and thus affecting the
maximum memory usage, and which allocated memory is quickly collected,
leading to garbage collection churn but no extra memory requirements.

Is there any way of figuring out at a particular point in time during
program execution where the currently used memory was allocated? It
seems much harder to profile memory usage than performance.

Best regards,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!