[mercury-users] Re: An opinion about Mercury

Ralph Becket rafe at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Feb 3 14:43:18 AEDT 2009

Benjamin L. Russell, Tuesday,  3 February 2009:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:07:54 +1100, Ralph Becket
> <rafe at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>
> >My New Year's resolution is to finish the Mercury tutorial book.  I've
> >made a start and am trying to write one or two pages a day.  People with
> >access to the Mercury repository can checkout the 'books' project and
> >run 'make' in the 'tutorial' subdirectory.  Having done some lecturing
> >since I started the book, lo these many years ago, I've decided to make
> >it even more strongly example driven instead of a friendlier version of
> >the reference manual.
>
> I've been interested in learning Mercury, too, but one concern I have
> is the apparent lack of a REPL, since I tend to program incrementally.
>
> Does anyone know of, or are there any plans for, a REPL for Mercury?

We don't have any plans for an interactive Mercury interpreter.  The
compiler is usually fast enough that you can compile and re-run your
program very quickly (I have a macro in vim which does this in a couple
of keystrokes).  The debugger is very good for stepping forwards and
backwards in execution and examining computed values.

-- Ralph