[mercury-users] Problem installing Mercury on openSUSE 11.1

Peter C. Chapin pcc482719 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:25:14 AEDT 2009

Julien Fischer wrote:

> See thread on mercury-users here:
>

> In particular, my post here:
>

> may be helpful if you are using gcc 4.2 or 4.3.

Thanks! Your instructions worked for me and I got the system installed
without error. I am able to compile and run simple programs (all I've
tried so far), so I think I'm off and running.

> There are have been a lot of changes since 0.13.1, (see the list here
> for further information:
> <http://www.mercury.csse.unimelb.edu.au/download/rotd.html>).
>
> If you do choose to use the ROTD then you should also keep
> the following caveat in mind:
>
>     Please treat ROTDs with caution -- although they are often very
> useful
>     and reasonably stable, they are not widely tested, and may have
>     unfinished features and rough edges

Yes, I understand. Normally I don't use beta or development software
unless I'm involved in some way in its development (even if just
testing). Considering that I'm a Mercury newbie just learning the
language it seems like I should stick with the official release.

On the other hand it seems like it has been a while since the last
official release. So this leads me to wonder if a new release is in the
works and what the time frame on it might be. It sounds like there have
been a lot of improvements since 0.13.1, and it would be nice to have
them captured in a stable release.

Peter