[mercury-users] Newbie question: what all these folders for?

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Oct 3 15:06:25 AEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 03:03:40PM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> >>
> >> In general both static and shared versions of the libraries are
> >> installed.
> >So does it means that I can safely remove all static (*.a) libraries?
> >As I said this is a strong requirement of Fedora Packaging Guide.
>
> You could do that although anyone who attempts to compile
> with --mercury-linkage=static is going to be in for a surprise ;-)
> (It is not uncommon to want to do that so that one can distribute
> executables that work on systems that do not have the Mercury libraries
> installed.)
> I am concerned that not including the static versions may cause users to
> think
> the installation is broken.
> I imagine that the packaging guidelines were formulated for use with
> C or C++ libraries.  What is appropriate for those languages may _not_
> necessarily be appropriate for Mercury.  I would also note that Ocaml
> seems to have an exemption to the static linking parts of the Fedora
> packaging
> guidelines.

I recommened creating at least two packages,

mercury-runtime containing:
    Shared libraries and things needed to execute existing programs.

mercury-dev containing:
    the Mercury compiler, mmake, static libraries and header files.
    This should include everything desireable for writing programs in
    Mercury.

This way you do not need to distribute the static libraries in the
runtime package.