[mercury-users] Newbie question: what all these folders for?

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:38:30 AEST 2008

Hello All!
Thanks for helping, Julien!

2008/9/30, Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au>:

>  On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>

> > Hello All!
> > I finally compiled Mercury and build RPM for it, but some things still
> > remains unclear for me.
> >
> > I found that compiled Mercury has very complex layout - there are many
> > different directories with content mysterious for newbies. Namely

[sorry, skipped]

> > * lib - also stronlgy required for Mercury to work. There are some
> > static libraries inside - we (at Fedora) have strict policy not to
> > package static libs until it would be absolutely necessary - I think
> > that's exactly the very case.
>
>  In general both static and shared versions of the libraries are
>  installed.

So does it means that I can safely remove all static (*.a) libraries?
As I said this is a strong requirement of Fedora Packaging Guide.

> > * reconf - seems useless w/o sources, so should be removed from binary
> package.
>
>  Used for reconfiguring the binary package we distribution ourselves.
>  Doing so doesn't require the sources, the files that it recreates are,
>  for example, the ones in the conf directory.

* Can I safely remove it (or separate from main distribution)?
* What user can gain from reconfiguring binary distribution of Mercury
using only these files (e.g. w/o sources)?

Sorry for probably silly questions.
--
With best regards!