[mercury-users] difficulties installing the Mercury compiler

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 18:01:20 AEDT 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Jörg Schuster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for your answers.
>
>> http://www.mercury.csse.unimelb.edu.au/information/doc-latest/mercury_faqInstalling.html#Installing
>
> I followed the instructions of the Mmake.params-solution, but I got
> exactly the same error message when running "make install". I had
> removed and re-downloaded and re-unzipped the Mercury package before.

Hi,

There are a few problems here, firstly the typo in the FAQ is probably
not helping, it should be:

 	EXTRA_CFLAGS=-O0

not:

 	-EXTRA_CFLAGS=-O0

But secondly, this is not the correct workaround in this situation
anyway.

I've tried installing Mercury 0.13.1 on OpenSUSE 11 using gcc 4.3
and the following works:

(1) Unpack the source distribution from the tarball

(2) Create the file Mmake.params at the root of the source tree and
     put the following line in it:

 	GRADE=none.gc

(3) Invoke configure as follows:

 	./configure --with-llds-base-grade=none \
 		    --with-default-grade=hlc.gc

plus any other options you require, e.g. --prefix, or --enable-librades.
(If you choose to select the set of library grades to install manually,
then make sure that hlc.gc is among them.)

(4) Do `make' and `make install'

(5) That's it! (hopefully)

I only tried out installing the libraries in a couple, none.gc and hlc.gc,
of grades, so it is possible there may be other problems.  Please let
us know if that is the case.

Julien.