[mercury-users] Crash on MacOS X

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 19:11:34 AEDT 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Michael Day wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're getting a crash in Prince on MacOS X that does not appear to be related
> to anything we are doing, this is the backtrace:

What version of OS X is this?

> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
> Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0xbf7ffed8
> 0x001f65b3 in GC_clear_stack_inner ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x001f65b3 in GC_clear_stack_inner ()
> Cannot access memory at address 0xbf7ffed8
> Cannot access memory at address 0xbf7ffedc
>
> Have there been any changes to garbage collection for MacOS X / x86 in hlc.gc
> grade since 2007-08-16 that might solve this?

There have been no OS X related changes to the garbage collector since
we last upgraded it.  I believe that subsequent versions of Boehm GC
have fixed various OS X related issues (such as it not working with 64-bit
executables.)  We will (hopefully) be bumping the version used by
Mercury to 7.1 soon ... ish.

We (i.e. the Mercury team) have made a couple of local changes to the
version of the GC that is shipped with Mercury, but they are unlikely
to the cause.  See:

FWIW, we have been using the ROTD on OS 10.5.X / x86 with the G12 system and
have not encountered the above problem.

Cheers,
Julien.