[mercury-users] Mercury on Ubuntu hardy

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 15:39:53 AEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:38:06PM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I'm experimenting with Mercury.
>
> I've installed the mercury-0.11.0.rotd.2004051 package from the
> Ubuntu Hardy repository and I'm trying to compile and run a
> simple "Hello World" program much like this one on wikipedia:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_programming_language#Examples
>
> I'm doing:
>
>    mmake hello_world.depend
>    mmake hello_world
>
> and I get the following error:
>
>     cc: /usr/lib/mercury/lib/reg.gc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libmer_std.a: No such file or directory
>     cc: /usr/lib/mercury/lib/reg.gc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libmer_rt.a: No such file or directory
>     make: *** [hello_world] Error 1
>
> I notice that both those libraries exist in the directory
> /usr/lib/mercury/lib/hlc.gc instead of /usr/lib/mercury/lib/reg.gc.
>
> Did I do something wrong or is this an Ubuntu packaging bug?

Probably a packaging bug.

The Debian/Ubuntu packages are horribly out of date.  Our latest stable
release is also quite old now.  Try one of the 'release of the day'
tarballs and follow the instructions.

Additionally to the instructions I recommend the following configure
line, for say the RODT 2008-07-07

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mercury-rotd-2008-07-07 \
  --enable-libgrades=asm_fast.gc

then create a symlink from /usr/local/mercury to the new installed
complier, this will make changing versions easy.

In my limited spare time I'm working on new packages for Debian.
This may be some time away since I have very little spare time.

Hope this helps.