[mercury-users] Generating small and fast binaries in Mercury

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Fri Jul 6 11:18:10 AEST 2007

Hi Jon,

> My experience with Cygwin has been that a basic hello world
> application takes up at least 1.6MB in asm_fast.gc, but only around
> 1MB in hlc.gc, and more in the various profiling and debugging grades.
> You could try using hlc.gc, but it makes bigger files for some files
> (for example, I have found that extras/xml is generally larger with
> hlc.gc).  Under Linux binaries are generally smaller because shared
> libraries are used.  I'm afraid that this is a reality of high-level
> languages and libraries - they take up more space because a lot more
> functionality is used.

While in general that's true, for a basic hello world program hardly any
functionality is being used at all. It would be interesting to see a
break down of how much of the resulting binary is taken up by the
runtime, the garbage collector and the standard library; particularly
comparing how much of the standard library is included in the binary but
never actually called :)

Cheers,

Michael

--