[mercury-users] Mercury Anarchive proposal

Julian Fondren ayrnieu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 20:56:54 AEDT 2007

On 2/23/07, Ondrej Bojar <bojar at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Julian Fondren wrote:
> Could you describe in a more detail what could have made the difference? I
> know Erlang and Ruby only by name, so I cannot really assess if the main
> reason could not be simply the attractiveness of the language. Or possibly
> just a random coincidence (caused by attractiveness of the language) so that
> more active people ended around Ruby than around Erlang?

I believe that the difference is that the RAA simply categorized
and linked to projects, whereas jungerl says 'grab this
repository!'  It isn't as clean.

The RAA I think of happened quite a bit before Ruby's rise to hype.

> A test that should fail is easily changed to a test that must not fail.

This is an awful, horrible, wrong idea.  Only a philosophy of
tests so twisted and poisonous as 'only passing tests must
ever exist' could lead its proponents to seriously propose
something this senselessly, dangerously stupid.

Anyway, this argument has already happened outside of
mercury-users.

> I do not quite understand you, but I surely prefer the constant mild
> earthquake and all contributors authorized to do the little maintenance
> needed.

As long as it doesn't lead to Mana's self-obviation, as people
discover that they'd rather not fork their own incompatible code,
and likewise not bother with receiving complaints from other
authorized contributors.

> I was speaking of formatting issues. Once there is an 'indent' program for
> Mercury, I would enforce uniform formatting convention and the term 'coding
> style' would reduce to variable naming, breaking code into subroutines,
> level
> of commenting, algorithm design...

No, you wouldn't.  Please abandon this idea.