[mercury-users] How to generate documentation from commented Mercury sources?

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 12:22:48 AEST 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com wrote:

> Do you have a program that extracts the function and predicate
> signatures as well as the preceding comments for documentation?
>
> I see the results in the compiler distribution, but poking around
> the Makefile, tools/, doc/, and util/ didn't show me how these
> documents were created.  I also didn't see any hints in the
> 'information for developers' section.

The library documentation is created by doc/Mmakefile, see the section
beginning

 	"The following rules automatically build the library
 	documentation ..."

We also have another system, `--make-xml-doc', that writes out an
XML representation of the module (including the comments) but as of
yet there are not any tools that use this XML representation.

The latter has been integrated into mmc --make, so you can use mmc
--make <target>.doc to build the XML representations of all the (local)
modules in a program or library.

> Is this system that automatically generates documentation available?

See above.

> May I use it?

Feel free.

> Where is the documentation for it?

For the library docs it's in the Mmakefile, for the XML stuff it doesn't
yet exist.

Julien.