[mercury-users] IDE...

Jörg Roman Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Thu Oct 19 09:01:23 AEST 2006

Hi Rod,

did you ever check mercury_tcltk at mercury_extras? If you
are a cultivated 'nixer I think you would be pleased how easy
it is to extend the Tcl/Tk interface -- at this level, Mercury is
really convenient (and, of course, we know Tcl/Tk is).

To be precise, I had begun coding example code of Brent Welch's
Tcl/Tk book -- for what I had to do some minor extensions to
mercury_tcltk.

I think there is something to be done at mercury_tcltk, a
good opportunity for less experienced people like me to begin
contributions... ;-) To my impression only a comparably low
effort is needed here to achieve very satisfying results...

so, IMHO, the untidy first impression is deceptive: The conceptual
integration looks quite good, keeping the advantage of easy Tk
GUI syntax (quite the opposite to Java Swing).

So writing an IDE in Mercury is not out of reach. (If there are
no Mercury-related limitations.

If Tcl/Tk is not stylish enough in your eye and you do not hesitate
the higher workload, I guess GTK might be of advantage, as it is
written in C.

All the best,

          Nick