Industrial Mercury use Re: [mercury-users] Arguments against Mercury usage??

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com
Thu Oct 19 01:16:35 AEST 2006

Dear Nick,

Oddly, business users wish to know which businesses use a technology
and for what purposes.  Both Michael Day (Prince XML) and myself
(Logical Types, LLC and Cotillion Group, Inc) use Mercury for industrial
purposes.  You can look up the kind of work Michael's company does
off of his company's website.

My companies use Mercury for "traditional" logic programming needs:
getting a coding task done.  This translates into the following areas:
inductive logic programming (systems that learn the rules of a workflow
process and then write the program that implements those rules),
(personnel) scheduling (80+ people filling 2-10 billeted slots/shift over
a quarterly schedule), and expert/advice systems (which include
knowledge acquisition, rule-based and bayesian-like advice systems).

I find Mercury better suited to what I need to do than either Prolog
or Haskell (which are better suited than any other programming
language for the systems I've worked on).  I find the combination
of the type/mode/determinism systems with the built-in logic control
gives me just what I need to code a solution to nearly any particular problem
domain.

Practically, my business partners and customers like the results I produce
for them, and I like coding up the solutions in this way.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair