[mercury-users] Question

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com
Thu Oct 12 13:17:26 AEST 2006

Dear Rod,

>RMJ, Wednesday, 11 October 2006:
>>    Being totally new to Mercury (although I have a long experience with
>>    Prolog, C/C++ and many others) I wonder if Mercury is a good choice,
>>    in performance & flexibility, to program some experimental neural
>>    networks and observing their convergence?

Our company, Logical Types, LLC, uses neural networks and bayesian systems
as expert/advice systems.  These are written in Mercury and perform
adequately (i.e. equivalent to instantaneous for user feedback).

So, are you in the U.S.A. and are you looking? If so, contact me directly (as in,
not on this forum as we needn't trespass to excess; see
http://www.logicaltypes.com for contact information).

Dear Ralph, you wrote:

>Anthony Lee Senyard did a PhD here at Melbourne a few years ago on just
>this topic and used Mercury for his work.  He would be a good person to
>talk to if you want to track him down.

Can I get in touch with Anthony and is the work available for perusal?

[...]
>For Anthony I implemented a special unboxed, full-precision float array
>type which sped his programs up substantially.  I'd be happy to let you
>have a copy.

Would you please provide me a copy as well? I will be using it immediately.

>In a nutshell: Mercury is an excellent language for building robust
>software, its performance is very good,

I concur!

>but it has not been highly
>optimized for floating point intensive applications.  (Of course, that
>could change if enough users make the request...)

Even though there is not this optimization, so far Mercury has been
more than up to the task for our needs (a floating-point enhancement
will be icing on the cake).

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair