[mercury-users] Proposed change to char literal syntax

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Thu Oct 5 10:03:06 AEST 2006

Hi Nicholas,

>> which allows us to use ' ' as a UNICODE character literal if we feel
>> so inclined.
>
> That doesn't strike me as a good thing...

Why not?

You have to import the unicode module to access these functions, and you
can only use them when you're expecting a UNICODE codepoint, not a char,
so they don't conflict with anything.

If integer literals were customisable as well then Mercury could support
BigInteger literals and other number types transparently. Defining the
semantics of literal values in the library seems more elegant than
hard-wiring them.

Cheers,

Michael

--