[mercury-users] Re: State variable problem

Nicholas Nethercote njn at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 31 11:19:28 AEST 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Ralph Becket wrote:

>> Oh, I see:  you're not allowed to use !Errs in a function application.
>
> Yes, state vars in function applications == very odd.

Why is that?  The manual says
(http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/information/doc-latest/mercury_ref/State-variables.html#State%20variables):

   !X may not appear as an argument in a function application since this
   would not make sense given the usual interpretation of state variables and
   functions.

which doesn't explain much.  In Mercury I think of predicates and functions
being basically the same except for syntax (cue horrified gasps from more
knowledgeable members of the audience), but I guess there's something deeper
than that here.

Also, it would be nice if the error message was a little clearer when you
try to do this.

Nick