[mercury-users] Threads in 0.13.0-beta-2006-05-01 much better but still useless

Ondrej Bojar obo at cuni.cz
Thu May 4 10:03:43 AEST 2006

Hi.

Like Michael Day, I also want to report some good experience with a
recent release (0.13.0-beta-2006-05-01 in my case) with respect to
parallel processing (see my mail 'Threads severely hurt performance'
last month).

The same benchmark (scaled up using a different seed constant) now
documents that: sequential and 4-way parallel processing on a 4CPU
machine take nearly exactly the same real time, which is a big
improvement. The consumed CPU time is about 2/3 higher in the threaded
version.

In total, the advantage of threads still remains completely wasted but
(given the machine is free) threads do not hurt the real-time
performance any more.

Sequential:
real    1m30.535s
user    1m30.497s