[mercury-users] pragma memo and failure determinism

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 7 14:36:31 AEST 2006

On 06-Jul-2006, Peter Hawkins <hawkinsp at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Moreover a minimal_model declaration has a _declarative_ meaning
> regardless of determinism --- namely that the perfect model semantics
> should be used.

That is precisely the problem.

The _declarative_ meaning of any procedure with determinism "failure"
is equivalent to "fail". Since that predicate already exists, there is
no point in defining any others, and any attempt to do so is very likely
to be an error. With non-minimal_model predicates, sometimes the operational
model may require the declaration of such predicates nevertheless, but even
in these situations I can think of no reason to make the predicate involved
minimal_model.

Zoltan.