[mercury-users] Mercury compilation problem, Mac OS X

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jan 27 15:12:55 AEDT 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Daniel Elenius wrote:

> I'm trying to compile mercury-compiler on Mac OS X 10.4.4
>
> I get this error when i execute make (after running ./configure
> --with-cc=/usr/bin/gcc-3.3 --prefix=/opt/local/mercury):
>
> /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 -multiply_defined suppress
> -dynamiclib -single_module -install_name \
>
> /opt/local/mercury/lib/mercury/lib/powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0/libgc.dylib \
>         -o libgc.dylib alloc.o reclaim.o allchblk.o misc.o mach_dep.o
> os_dep.o mark_rts.o headers.o mark.o obj_map.o blacklst.o finalize.o
> new_hblk.o dbg_mlc.o malloc.o stubborn.o checksums.o solaris_threads.o
> aix_irix_threads.o pthread_support.o pthread_stop_world.o
> darwin_stop_world.o typd_mlc.o ptr_chck.o mallocx.o solaris_pthreads.o
> gcj_mlc.o specific.o gc_dlopen.o backgraph.o win32_threads.o dyn_load.o -lc
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _sprintf$LDBLStub
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[3]: *** [libgc.dylib] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [submake] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [boehm_gc] Error 2

This looks to be a recent problem - it was working on earlier versions of 10.4
(and I've just tried it on 10.3.9 and all seems well).  I'd guess that what
has happened is the version of the Boehm GC we ship with mercury 0.12.X is no
longer compatible with recent versions MacOS 10.4 - I'll have a look into
this.

In the meantime you may want to try using a recent rotd rather than the
0.12 release since the former uses a more recent version of the Boehm
collector.

Cheers,
Julien.