[mercury-users] string_stream impl, re: redirecting output to streams

Ian MacLarty maclarty at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Feb 16 07:36:36 AEDT 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 06:21, doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com wrote:

> Dear Ralph,
>
> Thank you for your response, which was:
>
>> The short answer is "not yet".  But we're working on it.
>
> Okay.  What remains to be done?  Would it be possible to send me the
> work in progress so I can complete the implementation?  If all you
> have is notes, that is fine, too, as I have a working familiarity with
> the compiler.

I think Ralph is refering to the streams proposal I posted a few weeks
ago.  It can be found at the following address:
developers/mercury-developers.200601/0012.html.

There is an attached draft of a streams.m library with that post.

In my email I said that we would leave the operations in io.m to only
work on io.input_stream and io.output_stream for performance reasons,
but I now think it would be quite useful if io.read and io.write also
worked on general streams.

In my opinion what needs to be done is the following:

1.  implement io.read and io.write to work on the stream typeclass in
streams.m (the file from my post mentioned above, not the one in
extras).  This, I think, will also require term_io to be modified to
work on the streams typeclass.

2.  Asses what the performance impact on the compiler is and whether
it's acceptable.

3.  term_to_xml should also be rewritten to work with the streams
typeclass.

4.  implement other useful streams such as string buffers, sockets, etc.

Ian.