[mercury-users] install error with rotd 13-12-06 and 13.1

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Dec 22 12:49:55 AEDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Ben Schmidt wrote:

>> When installing rotd 13-12-06 and version 13.1 the installation stops
>> with an error. I am using gcc  4.1.2 on debian etch.
>
> Looks like a bug in the compiler for the deep profiling grades. The simplest
> solution is if you don't need those grades: pass --disable-prof-grades to
> configure, or an explicit list with
> --enable-libgrades=comma,in,list,of,grades. Or pass a list of libgrades
> avoiding profdeep grades to mmake at the install phase to save recompiling
> stuff unnecessarily:

It should just be sufficient to invoke configure with the
--disable-deep-profiler option.  That way you don't need to disable the
other profiling grades.

> scripts/mmake LIBGRADES="space separated list of grades" install
>
> Once the install phase gets past some grade, that grade is successfully
> installed, so needn't be installed again.
>
> If you do need deep profiling, someone else will have to help you out.

I think this problem has been reported before but last time I couldn't
reproduce it.  On possibility is that it is an issue with gcc 4.1; try
building with gcc 3.4 (debian package gcc-3.4) and see if it goes away.

In the meantime I'll take a look at it with gcc 4.1

Cheers,
Julien.