[mercury-users] Shared memory

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Tue Oct 18 18:53:58 AEST 2005

Hi,

We've been experimenting with forking processes versus creating threads
to build a server here.

The advantage of forking processes is that one has a single threaded
piece of code and it seems that the boehm_gc runs much faster in the
single threaded case (in one case 10 times slower for very heavy memory
allocation code), the disadvantage is that we use much more memory
as we cannot share data structures between threads.

However it is possible to share memory between processes using shared
memory.  My question is how difficult would it be to write a version of
deep copy which copied a data structure into this shared memory.

Or maybe others have a better idea about how one could do this?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Software Engineer                                (Work)   +32 2 757 10 15
Mission Critical                                 (Mobile) +32 485 482 559