[mercury-users] Mercury IL and Managed C++

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 18 08:40:06 AEDT 2005

Jonathan Morgan, Thursday, 17 November 2005:
> ...though I think C is likely to be best for most
> applications (and probably faster too).

You might be surprised :-)

You'll probably take five to ten times as long getting the first
version of your C application running, time which you could have spent
optimising your Mercury program.  And Mercury isn't that much slower
than C: I reimplemented a SPEC95 compression benchmark and with a modest
amount of effort had the Mercury version taking 1.4x the time of the C
version.  The difference is likely to be smaller in real applications:
this particular SPEC benchmark involved no memory management and so was
very much on C's turf.

-- Ralph